Zynga recently announced the global launch of CityVille 2, its newest game in the “ville” genre. With a design masterminded by Brian Reynolds of FrontierVille fame, CityVille 2 takes the original CityVille to a whole new dimension by letting players create a 3D metropolis that is bustling by day and glittering by night, while adding new social surprises with District VIPs for some friendly competition between players and real-time, in-game chat. This newest social city game delivers an immersive mystery storyline with a wild cast of characters, along with lively, next-generation graphics that make the city feel alive – giving players more ways to connect with friends and take their ultimate city to great new heights. CityVille 2 is available today for free on Facebook at https://apps.facebook.com/cityville-two/ and coming soon to Zynga.com.
“CityVille was a runaway hit that brought players a truly social and fun city building experience. It quickly catapulted to the number one most popular social game and it stayed in that spot for more than a year after it launched, reaching 100 million MAU at its peak,” said Mark Nelson, Director of Design for CityVille 2, Zynga. “Drawing inspiration from the original CityVille, as well as FrontierVille, CityVille 2 immerses players in a storyline peppered with quirky and interesting characters, while also delivering a beautiful 3D town where players can compete with or play with friends as they build their unique city.”
CityVille 2 puts players in the thick of the urban sprawl as they find themselves appointed mayor of their town – a heady task with the city’s revival at stake. Players customize their city from the ground up, mapping out roads and constructing an array of new buildings ranging from an Auto Plant and Natural Science Museum to Mansions and even a Pirate Ship Restaurant. Whether designing a family-friendly city dotted with parks or a jam-packed downtown that rivals Tokyo or New York City, each player’s city is uniquely their own.
CityVille 2 breaks ground with a host of features, including:
- Districts, the social center of town – Whether creating the next French Quarter or Chinatown, customizable districts let players’ personal style shine through. Friends can visit each other’s districts to compete for VIP status to earn extra rewards, with the most frequent visitors garnering the honor along with leaderboard bragging rights and reputation points.
- Make nice with your neighbors – In CityVille 2, players engage and interact with friends to help build up their cities, and collect crafting supplies from friends. Players can also swap strategy by talking to friends in real-time via in-game chat.
- A new view –The 3D graphics in CityVille 2 let players toggle between different camera views, rotate buildings and see their city in ways they never imagined. And, for the first time in a Zynga game, they can also flip a switch to make it nighttime, or daytime.
- Hustle and bustle – Like a real city, CityVille 2 features unexpected events. From realistic fires and explosions to vehicle breakdowns and traffic jams, players must respond with their city’s finest. Each interactive and dynamic vehicle serves a special purpose – police cars catch criminals, power trucks repair outages and fire trucks put out four-alarm blazes – and put players in the driver’s seat of each vehicle.
- Cast of characters – CityVille 2 features a group of colorful characters that send players on a series of fun and challenging quests tied to a mystery “whodunit” storyline that’s sparked by an explosion at the city’s Mayoral Estate. Some of the city’s movers and shakers include Rosemary Escarole, a community activist; Kurt Steele, a wealthy industrialist; and Tre, a reality TV star wannabe.
Current players of the original CityVille – which celebrates its two year anniversary in November – will also continue to have new ways to play as Zynga rolls out new expansions and features in the coming months. Both CityVille 2 and CityVille have dedicated teams working to bring players new experiences and new ways to share in each game.
Excited to play? Let us know what you’re most looking forward to!